Monsoon in India is not just a season but a celebration. If you are at the right place, one of the best monsoon destinations in India, be assured you will have a vacation of a lifetime. The season of rains is a blessing, one awaited by people all over the country. Descending from heavens, rains nurture earth transforming it into a haven. Imagine lush greenery, flowing rivers, bursting lakes, mighty waterfalls, amazing weather, the delicious petrichor, and a number of things to do, monsoon is wonderful.
Make your travel plans, as we list some of the best places to visit in India during monsoon.
Munnar nestled in the Western Ghats is one of the most romantic places in the world. Monsoon is one of the best times to go visiting. The tea growing hills shine like emeralds whereas the beautiful lakes shimmer. Seasonal waterfalls add to the charm. Do not miss out on trekking in rain, beautiful scenery and wildlife sightseeing awaits. You can also indulge in a pampering Ayurvedic spa session. Kerala certainly knows its Ayurveda secrets and monsoon is the right time for it.
Things to do in Munnar in monsoon
- Walk through tea estates
- Go trekking on the scenic trails
- Bird watching, spotting wildlife
- Enjoy bathing in the seasonal waterfalls
The former wettest place on Earth, Cherrapunjee is one of the most popular monsoon destinations in India. Clouds play hide and seek throughout the season with heavy to light rains. The lush green landscape appears out of the world. The waterfalls are a sight you must not miss out on, especially the Nohkalikai Falls. Few days here and you will be rejuvenated. Visit the living roots bridge, explore caves, or pay a visit to scenic villages. The magic of rains is bewitching here.
Things to do in Cherrapunjee in monsoon
- Get drenched in the rain
- Enjoy scenic strolls in the lush town
- Trek to the view points for an incredible view of the Nohkalikai Falls
- Hike to the living roots bridge
- Explore caves
Kodaikanal, Tamil Nadu
The ‘Gift of the Forests’, Kodaikanal is blessed and during rains it’s simply heavenly. The hill town of Western Ghats is one of top places to visit in monsoon. The Kodai Lake and the Berijam Lake glitter like a gem. Coaker’s Walk and Brynt Park are scenic trails while serious treks are available for Dolphin Nose, Kurunji Andavar Temple and Pillar Rocks. After the rain, you may be blessed to witness the rare phenomenon, Brachem Specter where you see a rainbow halo in clouds.
Things to do in Kodaikanal in monsoon
- Take a shower in the rains
- Boating at the Berijam or Kodai Lake
- Savour scenic strolls in the lush environs
- Go trekking to the Dolphin Nose and Pillar Rocks
- Picnic by the Silver Cascade falls
Lahaul – Spiti, Himachal Pradesh
If the rains are too much for you then why not escape it? If you seek a monsoon destination in India where it hardly rains, then welcome to Lahaul-Spiti Valley in Himachal Pradesh. Visit the monasteries, there are a number of them in the valley. Go for adventure sports like, trekking, mountaineering, bike riding, or river rafting in the season. Enjoy a homestay experience. Explore Tazo, Ki, Kibber and Dhankar Monasteries. Lahaul Spiti Valley is truly one of the best places to visit in India during monsoon.
- Things to do in Lahaul-Spiti in monsoon
- Ride to the Little Tibet from Manali
- Explore the famous monasteries
- Go trekking to Chandartal lake
- Try river rafting and other adventure sports.
- Pass through the high-altitude Kunzum pass.
Andaman and Nicobar Islands
The paradisiacal Andaman and Nicobar Islands are a perfect vacation spot even in the monsoon. Surrounded by the azure waters of the Bay of Bengal, the island archipelago is blessed with the best beaches in India. Go exploring the historic parts at Port Blair, especially the Cellular Jail. Pay a visit to Havelock and Neil Island for the best relaxing beaches. Do not miss out on sunbathing, swimming, scuba diving, snorkelling, parasailing, bird watching, and trekking to the island’s tropical forests. What is truly magical is, the islands receive only light showers in the season.
Things to do in Andaman in monsoon
- Explore the tourist sights of Port Blair
- Relax at the sandy shores of Havelock and Neil Island
- Sunbathe in the tropical sunshine
- Go swimming, scuba diving, snorkelling and explore the marine world
- Trek in the island forest while spotting some incredible birds
Mussoorie in Uttarakhand is one of the best monsoon destinations in India. Enveloped in mists clouds, the town appears charming. Enjoy the waterfalls like Battha and Kempty as they are spectacular in the rains. Visit the Naga Devta Temple along with some beautiful churches, the hill town is well-known for. Take walks in the town or go trekking on the scenic trails. Drive from Dehradun to Mussoorie in the rains, it is breathtaking. Escape the cities and enjoy a quiet weekend enjoying the rains.
Things to do in Mussoorie in monsoon
- Drive from Dehradun to Mussoorie enjoying views of the Doon Valley
- Go trekking on the scenic trails
- Get a hot cup of tea and a hot bowl of Maggi
- Walk through the Mall Road
- Click pictures of clouds resting on peaks
- Take a ropeway ride to Gun hills
Coorg is magical, but in monsoon it’s heavenly. Washed fresh in the rain, the coffee plantations look beautiful and smell fantastic. Waterfalls are a big draw for tourists, especially the Abbey and Iruppu waterfalls. Walk through the surreal landscape as mists are spread all over. Exciting treks are available for adventure aficionados. Go wildlife spotting at the Nagarhole National Park. Grab great deals for monsoon holiday in India, where you enjoy a relaxed vacation. Get drenched in rains, have cups of coffee and let the pleasant weather soothe your senses.
Things to do in Coorg in monsoon
- Visit the rain-fed Iruppu and Abbey waterfalls
- Stroll through the misty roads
- Explore the coffee plantations
- Take a day trip to Bylakuppe and Madikeri
A monsoon holiday in India is complete only after you have witnessed Mahabaleshwar in rains. The breath-taking town of Maharashtra is one of the best monsoon destinations in India. Snuggled in the lap of lush Sahyadri, the landscape sparkles like an emerald. The clouds itself descend on the roads, adding an ethereal touch. Go trekking, there are many scenic trails. Escape for a weekend, the cool, green environment makes you forget the fast pace of cities.
Things to do in Mahabaleshwar in monsoon
- Go boating at the Venna Lake
- Enjoy views of the panorama from Echo Point, Malcom point, Arthur Seat and Babington, etc.
- Go trekking in the blissful scenery
- Warm yourself with hot cups of local tea
- Go for a day trip to Pratapgad fort or Panchgani
- Trek to the Kaas Plateau for the incredible view of a valley of monsoon flowers
Valley of Flowers, Uttarakhand
One of nature’s best gifts, the Valley of Flowers in Uttarakhand is one of the top places to visit in India during monsoon. After the rains, this valley transforms into a garden of mountain flowers. More than 300 species of mountain flowers in every shade possible in amazing pattern blooms here, making it a sight of God’s very own garden. An UNESCO World Heritage Site, the valley is a national park which can be only visited in the season of rains.
Things to do in Valley of Flowers in monsoon
- Trek to the valley in Chamoli district, a 5-6 day trip
- Click pictures of the incredible beauty of the valley
- Spot high-altitude birds and wildlife like Asiatic black bear, snow leopard, musk deer, blue sheep, etc.
- Trek to Hemkund Sahib Gurudwara for blessings
Ladakh, Jammu and Kashmir
Without a word of doubt Ladakh in one of the best places to visit in India during monsoon. Though, Ladakh is an experience that will change you forever. Visit the Buddhist monasteries like Thiksey, Hemis among many others to know about Tibetan Buddhism. Trekking, paragliding and white water rafting are popular sports. Camp at the Pangong Lake or the sand dunes of Nubra Valley. Monsoon is the time when one can take a road trip to the remote region. It is also the time of festivals, masked Cham Dances, music and celebrations.
Things to do in Ladakh in monsoon
- Road trip from Manali to Leh passing through high-altitude mountain passes
- Visit Buddhist monasteries
- Camp at Pangong Lake
- Marvel at the cold desert in Nubra Valley
- Ride the double-humped Bactrian camel
Goa features on the very top on the list of monsoon holiday destinations India. Magical in rains, the smallest state of India is fun to explore in the season. Explore Portuguese legacy in the churches, forts and museums. Fun sports take you trekking to Dudhsagar falls, spice plantations and the wildlife sanctuaries. The beaches are free of crowds and it is important to avoid getting in the sea at all costs. It also rains discounts in Goa, therefore do pamper yourself with luxury experiences. Ayurveda, yoga and meditation offer rejuvenating massages.
Things to do in Goa in Monsoon
- Trek to Dudhsagar falls
- Explore wildlife sanctuaries
- Sightsee forts, museums, and churches
- Mandovi river cruise
- Party all night at beach shacks and discos
- Attend the festivities in Goa
- Try your luck at the casinos
The beach destination of Kovalam in Kerala is also on our list of top monsoon destinations in India. Why we suggest to visit the beach haven in monsoon is, it is one of the best places for Ayurveda in India. Also, during the season of rains, Ayurveda works its magic. The shores of Kovalam are generally crowd free in the season so you can enjoy leisurely strolls. Savour the delicious seafood. Get Ayurvedic therapies, rejuvenating your body, mind and soul. Spend a relaxed vacation away from cities.
Things to do in Kovalam in Monsoon
- Ayurvedic treatment in a certified therapy centre
- Relaxing walk on the beaches
- Learn about yoga and meditation
- Take day tours to Trivandrum city
If you want to cherish the essence of monsoon, then Lonavala is the place you must visit in India during the season of rains. Snuggled in the Sahyadri mountain ranges, the hill town enjoys pleasant weather, as light showers mark the season. Enjoy the alluring greenery, rare flowers, birds and butterflies while trekking. Stop by the breath-taking waterfalls and lookouts offering panoramic views. Get away from cities and breathe in fresh air. Choose to stay in hotels or campsites, both offer a good experience.
Things to do in Lonavala in monsoon
- Enjoy wonderful views from the Tiger point
- Explore the Karla caves
- Trek to the waterfall near Bushi dam
- Day tours to Rajmachi, Lohagad and Tikona Fort
While talking about monsoon holiday destinations in India, how can we miss Udaipur? The royal city of Rajasthan has a dedicated monsoon palace. Udaipur is one of the most romantic places in India and monsoon makes it truly magical. The lakes are full and beautiful, shining in sunshine. The Aravalis in the backdrop don a green look. The dancing peacocks, add charm to the rain-washed beauty. Explore the palaces and gardens, go boating or pamper yourself to Rajputana hospitality, enjoy an unforgettable monsoon holiday.
Things to do in Udaipur in Monsoon
- Boating at the Lake Pichola and Fateh Sagar Lake
- Explore the Sajjangarh Place, the monsoon palace
- Walk through the washed royal gardens and palaces
- Witness a dancing peacock
- Get drenched in rain and romance
Lastly, we come to Alleppey, one of the best places to celebrate rains in India. One of the most popular monsoon destinations in India, the backwater town in Kerala, God’s Own Country is enchanting. In the season of rain Alleppey comes alive. The backwater are fresh thriving with life. Backwater cruises on houseboat is a great experience to try. Ayurveda thrives in the moist season and the town offers amazing options to get treatment. Also, Onam, the biggest festival is celebrated this time of the year. Do not miss to attend, a snake boat race.
Things to do in Alleppey in monsoon
- Go for a backwater cruise on the houseboat
- Pamper yourself with Ayurveda
- Enjoy the unique ecology while passing the landscape
- Attend a snake boat race
- Savour the delicious gastronomy of Kerala